Thursday, October 9, 2008

It has been a very emotional couple of days. Shelley and I met when Dr Calvacant (cancer) and Dr Taylor (radiologist) today. They have both been going over the tests that were run at Gilbert Mercy Hospital. They have been very detailed in helping us understand the options that Shelley is facing. I have not been able to sleep since Shelley has been diagnosed (as you can tell with the time that I am writing this blog). It's amazing how much information there is on the Internet about this cancer. She has been diagnosed with non-small cell lung cancer that has metastasis to the brain and other part of her body. There is no cure for this cancer but with treatment it can be slowed from growing and even reduced in size. Chemo is ineffective in treating the spots on the brain but is effective for all the other parts of the body. Dr Calvacant feels the best approach is to start chemo tomorrow and later see what can be done with the brain. The best treatment for the brain is radiation. He will start that in the next 3 to 4 weeks. If anyone is interested in reading more it can be found at
http://www.medicinenet.com/lung_cancer/article.htm

It was nice to see Lynn and Eldonna (shelley sisters) drive down from Utah. All the visitors have helped with Shelley's spirit. Dad and Bobby(eldon's wife) had just left on a mission for the church in Mexico when Shelley got sick. I guess the Lord knew they needed to come back because when they got their visa's they were issued only tourist visa and needed to return to the border. When Shelley was in ICU on Monday Bobby's daughters Shauna, Doris, and Karen came in and did hair, make-up and shaved her legs (oh and yes the pits, if you know what I mean, she was starting to look a little European) it did made her feel good as you can tell from the picture. Sue Steele has also come down to the hospital several times and has given Shelley a very relaxing and stress releasing massage. I think one time it lasted over 2 hours. All of the visitors, massages, hairdressing, and of course shaving(ha ha) have made her hospital experience bearable.

I think that the older kids have a pretty good understanding on what is going on. I have sat down with all of them as a group and individually. When we came home from the hospital Monday night Coleen, our 8 yr old, was fast asleep on the couch. It was 12:30am. She had put on Shelley robe. I woke her up and took her to bed and said lets take off the robe. She said "no it's mommy's. Can I sleep with it, because when I wear it I can feel mom", how could I say no to that. She then asked me to say her prayers with her. yes I cried

Well that's just about it. I have to say thanks to the ward sisters that have made meals every night. They have kept us well feed. In fact because I have been coming home late from the hospital I try with all my will power not to eat at 12 midnight but when I see what was made I can't help myself-----thanks for helping me get fat----again. ha ha

10 comments:

Cherai said...

The Slade Family is thinking and praying for you and your family. We will have Colleen come over to play with Kamryn. I am so happy Shelley has her new pits on. That has got to make a girl feel good.

dIAna C said...

Mike & Shelley,

Daron & I and the girls are praying and having Faith for you two during these tough days ahead. We will pray for you and your family. We love you guys! love the Connelly's

Aurélie AKA Frenchie said...

It's very nice from you to let us inform about Shelley's situation, I'm not a believer but I will fast on sunday for her. I'm on your side. Mike I think you are amasingly strong for what you are doing. I'm glad for her that there are a lot of people around, I wish i could be there.
P.S:And what did you say about the Europeans ?! Haha :-).
Love.

Bill & Sandy McMaster said...

This blog is awesome in keeping us informed. Shelley, you and your family have been in our hearts and prayers since day 1 of these postings when we found out about your condition. When you feel up to it we have a gift for you to veiw at: www.rememberingwholeness.com
Just click on "view presentation"
We send you our love and healing.
Bill & Sandy McMaster

Nikki & Cory said...

Shelley, Are you ready for me to bring you Ben & Jerrys Ice cream. Just let me know.
Love
Cory & Nikki

Tom & Lindsey said...

Mike and Shelley -

We want you to know that you and your family are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. We would love to come and see you soon. Is it okay to stop by whenever or do you prefer we call first?

The Haggartons said...

Mike, thank you so much for keeping this blog. Every morning I wake up wondering how Shelley and your family are doing today, did anything happen yesterday...etc. Knowing I can log on to your blog and get an update is helpful. I know I'm not alone, so please keep it up, we hang on every word. We love you guys.

kristi said...

Michael, It's great to see you arming yourself with knowledge! I suggest keeping a journal (you probably are!) with info, and all your Qs & As to and from docs. We are so priviledged to have access to current information at our fingertips, not to mention the ability to stay in touch as we are on this blog spot. Thank you for sharing all of this with us, and keeping us updated continuously. Please give Shelley a big hug for me...then take a nap. Stay strong.
Love & hugs,
kristi kilger pulliam

Paula said...

Shelley and Mike,
You know how much we love you guys and your kids and we are here for you in any way you need us. Our prayers and fasting and faith along with many others are with you. Stay strong and lean on our faith in you and in Heavenly Father's mercy. Tracy and I have a couple of special things for you that I know you'll want, so we'll come by again as soon as Mike says its okay--WE LOVE YOU FRIEND!

Bren's Life said...

We are praying for you guys too. I am so glad to hear Shelley has had some pampering during all this turmoil.
Colleen is welcome to come over here antime to play with Tyler too. I assume she's fine playing with boys with having brothers!