Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Shelley has asked me to give everyone the details on what has happened over the last couple of weeks. Shelley has had some good days and then bad days. Unfortunately the bad days have been outweighing the good. For the first 2 days after chemo she felt pretty good and was eating great. After that its been a roller coaster ride. Everyday for the first week Shelley's white blood cells were down and it was necessary for her to be on multiple antibiotics as well as having a shot of something to her stomach. Everyday since the chemo she has experienced high fevers and cold chills. She is either very hot or very cold. For the first week to 10 days her body just ached. She has been on Morphine and a drug that calms her down every 2 to 4 hrs. Her breathing has been labored and it is necessary to have respiratory every 4 hours. On Monday last week she started bleeding vaginally and also from her nose. The bleeding was so bad that it was necessary to change her bedding 4 times a day for 2 days. She went through 8 transfusions and 4 units of plasma in that 2 or 3 day period. As she slept the blood from her nose would drain to her stomach and when I got there in the morning she would be throwing up blood, this gave me a big scare. They have been cautious not to give her plasma because of her cloating problem. As a result of the bleeding there was no choice. As soon as she received the plasma her leg got a large blood clot and swelled twice its size. At that point we were thankful that they had put in the filter the week before. Once the bleeding had slowed they had her OBGYN come in to see if he had any suggestions. On Saturday he did an operation to stop the vaginal bleeding and we will find out today if there is cancer in her uterus. This has been a debate with the doctors on weather she does or does not have cancer there. While he was stopping the bleeding he sent a sample to pathology to know for positive what it is. If there is cancer she may need to have a hysterectomy. On Friday last week we were informed by the pulmonary doctor that she has something else in her lung and he wanted to do another bronc. We didn't feel good about it at all. The procedure would need to go through the nose and scrub the lung with saline. This would have a good chance to cause pneumonia which she is barely getting over. Instead of the bronc they went in yesterday and put a needle into her back and removed about 600ml (about 36oz) of fluid from her lungs. They are saying that the fluid is caused by the cancer and depending on the person she may need to have it drained from once every day to once a month. Shelley is still having a great deal of pain with her head and her left eye is drooping at times. With all this Shelley has been a great trooper and I have been rendered breathless by her valiante courage.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Shelley,

I can't remember a time where I have been more touched , moved and inspired than these past few weeks. As I read the comments posted here, I just can't help but feel the outpouring of the love that they have for you and your family. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your lives through this blog these past few weeks. I have been truly blessed by knowing you, and you are constantly in my prayers. You have a beautiful family. May God bless you.

Pam S

Harris Family said...

I am so glad I found this blog. I saw you thru Jenna Winters. I want you to know how much of our thoughts and prayers are with you and your wonderful family. I was so happy to see all your great looking faces in your family pictures. Hang in there Shelley, you have a great support group holding on to you. We all love you.
-Bryndee (Ballif) Harris

Randall Bunch said...

Shelley-
I have wanted to come see you and I will. I just read the blog and wow what a last couple of weeks you have had. Yet, you still smile and surrounded by all those who love you. I think of you everyday and I want you to know how much I love and appreciate our friendship. You & Mike are wonderful people and have a beautiful family. I promise I will get back down there to see you soon! You are in our thoughts & prayers.
Love The Randall Bunch

Teresa said...

Shelly & Mike,
You have been in our thoughts and prayers over the past few weeks. Although I haven't seen much of you in the past few years, I have such fond memories of spending time with you as a teenager when I would babysit Britney (yes, I am that old!)or just come to your home to get away. I really appreciated that. Just seeing the number of people who showed up to support the car wash is a real testiment to the number of lives you continue to touch and the people who care. I miss you both and pray for your recovery.
Teresa, Stuart, and Baby Jack

Bren's Life said...

Shelley,

Like everyone else you are in my prayers at all times. I just can not believe all that your fighting right now. I loved seeing the pictures of your family & the deep love they have for you.
You are such a Great example & have always been. I have always looked up to you & thought you were just so easy going & fun. You always have a smile on your face.
Even when your in pain - you smile.
Please know if there is anything I can do AT ALL, please let me know.

Gail Conway Cook said...

Shelley It is abosolutly amazing how you have been able to with stand all of what you have gone thru.You are one special lady. Earl and I talk to Heavenly Father every day in your behalf. I love you very much and I know that all will be well with you. You are a good son Michael. Love you both ,Mom

Jer said...

You are a beautiful family and we are pulling for you! Although we are at a loss as to how to ease any of your hardship, please know that we are here. You are strong people and we love the Conway family! Mike please give my love to Shelley. She is a strong woman and I have learned some incredible lessons from her.
-Jeriann (& Ren)

Doran & Jody said...

We are thinking of you and still praying for you and your family!
Our hearts break to see what you are going through. What a blessing it is to see that you have such a great family.
We love you!

Jeanette said...

Shelley,
I'm not surprised at all that you are such a trooper through all of this. I have always admired your strength and have wished that I could be more like you in so many ways. I am so glad that I found this blog so that I could tell you that you and your family are constantly in our thoughts. We pray for you daily and have fasted for you as well (Landon has fasted for you several times. He really does love you and your family). We wish that we were closer, but at least know that we are sending our love your way. Your family has always been very special to us.
Love,
Jeanette Shumway
(and family)

Shelby said...

You have always been such an example to me Shelly. As I read through this blog I find myself hoping that one day I can be as strong as a lady as you are. You and Mike have raised such an amazing family ,that all have such strong spirits. I want you to know that my family and I have been praying and thinking about you daily . I love you !
- Shelby Goodman

Mary Adair said...

Shelly and Mike
Hi this is Mary and Rodger Adair, our son Colin is on Lincoln's JV team.our daughter Chelsi cheered at Higley and knew Gannon, We only heard tonight at the booster meeting of all your going through. You and you sweet children are in out thoughts and prayers.
Trust in Heavenly Father , I know he wll lighten you burdens and see you through this sore trial. We have a 7 yr old little girl, she's our cancer survivor. After many blessings , ward fasts, and prayers we've seen miracles and wrote each one down. Write down , each day how you've "seen the hand of the Lord in your Life"(Henry B Eyring)It will help so much :)
please let us know how we can help
adairclan.blogspot.com is our blog, you can add us as followers if you'd like.
(and you right , Banner Desert is wonderful,thats where our little one had her chemos and surgeries.)
Rodger and Mary Adair

Anonymous said...

you all are amazing. mike i admire your strength and unfailing love. i'm sure it has grown stronger and deeper than ever at this time. may God continue to bless and strengthen you and your dear shelley. we love you! -heather johnson

Lisa said...

I have been so touched by the faith your family has. I grew up in the same town has Shelley she is an amazing woman. My prayers are with her and your family. Your family is beautiful keep the smiles coming for that is such a postitive healing tool.

DeAnn said...

Shelley, you are a wonderful and courageous woman. Our family will keep you in our prayers. We have always loved and admired you and Michael. You have a beautifuly family and you have both touched many lives for good. We love you, Jeff and DeAnn.

Mark said...

Shelley:
1 Ne 11:17 "And I said unto him: I know that He loveth his children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things."

I wish I could take away all your pain. I know how your cried when you stepped on a nail at our house when you were 8 or 9. All I can think of is to remind you of God's love and how much you are blessed with such a beautiful eternal family.

We love you.

a.overson said...

Thank you so much for putting the updates on here. I think about you all the time but don't want to bother anyone by calling and asking how things are going. I appreciate the ability to participate without being a nuicance.

Kathleen said...

Dear Michael and Family
What a blessing to attend such a beautiful service. I have never seen so many people at a funeral or felt such tremendous outpouring of love. Shelly truly was an example to us all in life and in death. There is no mourning a life well lived only rejoicing in sweet reunions. Your family has touched our hearts. Way to go Shelly! You made it. Love from all the Hunsakers

BloggerMom said...

Dear Shelley,

Your namesake, My daughter Shelley wrote a Beautiful Tribute to you which I wanted to share with you and your family. I love you and miss you!

Love Forever, Diana

A Poem by Shelley Marie Isham

'Is your real name Michelle?' I would hear.
It would be the umpteenth time that week.
Nope, my name was just plain Shelley
And it seemed as if I was the only one who had that title.
Why hadn't my parents bestowed something simple --
Like Megan, Chelsea or Jen?

Shelley Marie Isham

Now I view it as unique, with a great legacy.
It kinda sounds like a souvenir you might find at the ocean.
And on a good day, it rings out joy.

Shelley came from my mother's side of the family.
It was my grandmother's maiden name.
But I ended up getting my full title from a 2nd cousin.

Marie was my dad's idea
It reminded him of his mother's middle name, Marieclaire.
Coincidentally, most everyone has the same middle name.

Shelley, as I said, came from my mother's side.
My second cousin died of cancer at age 47
She was loved, and loved all whom she met.
Her battle was well fought.
Hopefully I can uphold her name with honor
My grandmother was likewise a great woman.
she too died at an age younger than most.
But their names live on inside of me and other posterity.

This is why I am no longer bothered by my name.
I embrace it with pride and esteem the heritage it holds.